Registration is currently open for the all-day educational event on June 19, 2020 Neuropathy Action Awareness Day, in Los Angeles. The Neuropathy Action Foundation (NAF) will evaluate the coronavirus situation in May to determine if the event will still occur in June. Neuropathy Action Awareness Day is the largest neuropathy gathering in the US. The event brings together patients and caregivers from across the country to learn about neuropathy, strategies for managing pain and other symptoms, patient advocacy, and the latest clinical improvements and research breakthroughs.
The event consists of educational presentations, luncheon, exhibit area, and silent auction. Celebrity internist, Melina Jampolis, MD, will speak during the luncheon. Other speakers include:
• Said Beydoun, MD FAAN, professor, division chief of Neuromuscular Medicine and Program director, Clinical Neurophysiology, Keck Medical Center of USC
• Allan I. Frankel, MD, Internal Medical doctor and Medical Cannabis specialist
• Richard Lewis, MD, FAAN, director EMG Laboratory and Professor of Neurology at Cedars-Sinai;
• Jeffrey Ralph, MD, professor, University of California, San Francisco (UCSF)
• Perry Shieh, MD, PhD, professor, University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA)
• Francy Shu, MD, assistant clinical professor, University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA)
"This event provides patients with an opportunity to empower themselves to become effective advocates for their own care," said NAF president Dominick Spatafora. "As insurance benefit restrictions make it more difficult to access intravenous immunoglobulin (IVIG) and other medications, it is more important than ever that the neuropathy community has a strong voice to protect access to care and treatment."
The event is from 9:30 AM to 3:00 PM on Friday, June 19 at the Intercontinental Hotel located at 2151 Avenue of the Stars. The event is free of charge; however, NAF requests a $25 donation from patients and $125 from others.
Michael S. Cartwright, MD, MS, and Hwajin Lee, MD
Jennifer Robblee, MD, MSc; Amaal J. Starling, MD; Rashmi B. Halker Singh, MD, FAHS, FAAN; and Nina Riggins, MD, PhD